Homemade Baguettes 🥖
Homemade baguettes are one of the most versatile breads you can make! We are regularly baking these as they go with some many dishes...you can make garlic bread, pizza breads, sandwiches, it's also great on the side of soups, stews...the list can go on and on! So forget all those store bought breads and make your very own! The taste is incredible and the house will smell absolutely amazing 😍
To make these delicious baguettes follow the recipe below:
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2tsp salt
- 1tsp sugar
- Olive oil for greasing
- 2tsp fast-action yeast
- 370ml cool water
1. To start with, lightly oil a large plastic container with olive oil.
2. Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into the bowl of a freestanding mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add 3/4 of the water and begin mixing on a low speed. As the dough starts to come together, add the remaining water. Finally continue to mix on a medium speed for 5-7 minutes, until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
3. Tip the dough into the prepared tub. Cover with either a slightly wet tea towel or clingfilm and leave for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
4. Lightly dust a clean surface and then tip the dough out. Knead the dough carefully and slowly for approximately 7 minutes until the dough feels even lighter and more smoother to touch.
5. Once kneaded, divide the dough into 4 pieces. Then shape each piece into an oblong so it resembles a baguette.
6. Repeat this process until all 4 baguettes are made and place on a large baking tray. Cover the baguettes with a tea towel or clingfilm and leave for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 240C/220C Fan/Gas 9. When the baguettes are risen, place the baking tray in the oven and along the length of each baguette on the diagonal, using a very sharp knife make some slashes- do not cut too deep in the baguette.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the baguettes are golden-brown. Cool on a wire rack.
9. Once cooled slice them in half long ways and add on your toppings and then place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes! We chose to keep it simple and just added some extra mature cheddar cheese, our homegrown cherry tomatoes and onions and finally we sprinkled them with some mixed herbs.
You definitely knead to try these so make sure you don't baguette about them 😉